Saturday, December 15, 2012

SPOTLIGHT - Downsiid (Killeen, TX)

The newest spotlight is featuring a band based out of Killeen, TX called Downsiid (pronounced Downside). This band is actually a new find for myself as well, and no words have the power to convey how excited I am to have learned of them!

First, a bit of background on Downsiid. The band was originally formed in 2000 with the members being primarily Army men based at Ft. Hood, TX. Eventually, line-up changes were necessary due to members of the band being shipped to different locations; which led to the current line-up (Jason "String" Atwood - Vocals; DJ AkirA MC - Vocals, Turntables/Samples.keyboards; B.rich - Drums; Jeff "Spanish" Scottt - Lead Guitar; G. Dell - Rhythm Guitar; Jason Quintero - Bass Guitar) Their first CD was released in 2001 and their second released in 2005. Life and Lies is their most current album, having been finished up last year (2011). The guys worked with producer Roy Z (Judas Priest, Halford, Bruce Dickinson, Sebastian Bach, Sepultura, etc) for that album, and have a YouTube video for their single "Not With Me" off their Life Of Lies album which you can watch here. They are currently working on a new DOUBLE CD called "Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll" (SxRxRr) which will be available in 2013.


 

Now, on to the music. I have only heard what is posted on their ReverbNation page (found here), but I was blown away with the first song, No Rain, and could not stop listening. In that song, the singer,
Jason "String" Atwood's, voice just has that raw, powerful sound from the get-go. "The Simple Man" reminds me of Korn. At least, that's the first band that comes to my mind when I hear that song, I could be off, or you may have a better comparison...but right at this moment in time, Korn is who I think of. Though, other songs don't necessarily have the exact same sound. I don't know if I would really compare any of their other songs to the same band, which is pretty damn awesome if you ask me. Downsiid's music offers something new and exciting every song. Take the rap for example. It was totally unexpected when I first heard it, but once I heard it, something just clicked. It made sense...the rap fits in and flows so well with the hard rock tunes, it just belongs there. Period.

After listening to the music they have posted, it really is difficult to choose a favorite song. Yesterday, I could not stop listening to "The Simple Msn" and the snippet for "Bullet Hits the Skin". But tonite, "No Rain" and "Part of You Live..." is currently being played over and over. You can NOT go wrong with any of their tunes, and I know I will definitely be buying a copy of the new CD when it comes out next year!

You can help them out by purchasing merchandise, buying a CD and requesting them at your favorite place to see a show!

FOR MORE INFO AND TUNES:

Visit the BAND WEBSITE
Like the BAND PAGE on Facebook
Follow them on TWITTER
Check out their TUNES on ReverbNation
Subscribe to DOWNSIID on YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment